During the 19th century, Valpovo Estate was the one of the largest estates territorially in Croatia, and one of the most successful economically. Therefore, it is not surprising that the Valpovo landowners constructed a series of important residential, public, economic, and sacral buildings in the territory of the estate, and beyond it, during that period.
The main building of the Valpovo Estate, the Valpovo castle complex, can be considered as one of the most layered monuments in Slavonia in general, as well as the most interesting from the historical and art historical perspective. The oldest part of the complex is a well preserved Medieval fort, doubtlessly built during the 15th century, while the Valpovo Estate was owned by the Morovic family, which was granted to them by a deed from King Sigismund of Luxembourg. Considering that the fort was used during the Ottoman period and that it was not burned during the Great Turkish War and the establishment of the Habsburg authority over this area in the end of the 17th century, it was used and incorporated into the new estate complex.
The castle complex was constantly expanded until the late 19th century, which will be covered later in the text. During the 1880s, the residence of the Valpovo landowners contained 4,031 square metres of space in total, and it was surrounded by an English type park of the surface area of 35 jutros! (1 jutro = 5754.64 m2) Several buildings were located within the complex: three greenhouses, gardener’s house, a stable and a barn, a cart shed (Remise), a kitchen and laundry building, and various other smaller buildings. Unfortunately, many of these structures were nor preserved – they were mostly destroyed after the estate was nationalised in 1945.
Full text from the exhibition catalog: