With its historical story, its functionality, and its architectural features, the chapel of St Roch in Valpovo is truly a special and significant cultural monument of our region. It was erected way back in 1796, on a small hill in Valpovo known as Zeleni brijeg, by the baron of Valpovo, Josip Ignjat Žigmund Hilleprand von Prandau, during the second great plague epidemic that spread to Slavonia. This is confirmed by the original Latin text engraved in the memorial plaque at the centre of the chapel’s façade, above the entrance, and the translation of the Latin text to Croatian is engraved on the memorial plaque to the right of the entrance to the chapel. This late-Baroque chapel was built in honour of St Roch, the protector against the plague epidemic, in which the population, offering vows to that exceptionally revered saint, and directly to God, prayed for the preservation and the protection of the city of Valpovo and the Valpovo Estate.
Full text from the exhibition catalog: